lawn issues - Knowledgebase Question

Hollister, Ca
Question by superlisa57
We have larger browning sections in our lawn. It is getting plenty of water. How do we know if it should be aerated or fertilized? Or is there something else we should consider?

0

I'd dig a shovelful of the affected lawn out and check the root system for signs of grub feeding, fungal spores, the amount of thatch build up, and the moisture content of the soil. If soil is compacted water won't soak in and the roots will shrivel and die. Aerating will help if this is what you find. Grub feeding can kill the roots so if you find grubs, use a control such as Grubex or Bayer Advanced Grub Control. If you find more than an inch of thatch at the soil level, dethatching or power raking will remove the excess thatch. I wouldn't feed the lawn until you determine just what is causing the browning areas and you have the problem under control. September is a good time to feed lawns. Good luck with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"