St. Augustine grass - Knowledgebase Question

TAmpa, Fl
Question by Biglolipop
I put sod down about 4 monthe ago. Kept it watered. Not it is growing straight up. Is it possible to water the grass too much ? Also, rainy season here and yard stands in water at times. Please help and thank you.

0

It is possible to overwater your lawn. The best thing to do is to track the rainfall and water only if there is less than one inch of rain per week. You can use a simple rain gauge in your yard to track the rainfall or check your local newspaper for weekly rainfall amounts. If less than an inch accumulates, you can water your lawn. I'm concerned that your soil doesn't drain well and water stands in your yard. It might be worthwhile to look into installing a curtain drain to help redirect the excess water. Curtain drains are basically trenches filled with gravel that you install to give the water someplace to drain. Installed along the property line or near the places where your gutters and downspouts carry rainwater might help the soggy situation your lawn is experiencing. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"