apple tree - Knowledgebase Question

fresno, Ca
Question by gj108
How much are you supposed to water an apple tree. It is very hot
here in Fresno Calif. I got a lot of apples this year and dont want to lose them. And when are you supposed to pick them? Thank you, Gloria.

0

We would all prefer an exact formula for watering plants, but unfortunately, that's not the best way for the long-term health of your apple tree. There are numerous variables involved, such as type of soil, how fast or slow it drains, sun and wind exposure at your site, temperature, age and condition of the tree and much more. Use a soil probe (any long, pointed piece of metal or wood to poke into the soil) to check how far water has penetrated. The probe moves easily through moist soil, but stops when it hits hard dry soil. You want the water to penetrate at least 2' deep near the root zone of your apple tree. It's important to water slowly, deeply, and infrequently so that salts in the water don't accumulate around the roots of the tree and the water seeps out to where the new roots are growing. I suggest that you water twice a week during the summer months. It's hard to tell exactly when apples are ripe. Most gardeners wait until the apples begin to fall from the tree and then they harvest the entire crop. Hope this answers all your questions!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"