keiffer pear tree - Knowledgebase Question

bluffton, So
Question by markshupard
I planted a keiffer pear tree this spring and it was doing well. I went on vacation for 2 weeks, came home and every leaf was yellow, and after a rainstorm, they all fell off and the tree looks dead, with the exception of one new green branch that was not effected. What happened to my tree and what can/should I do with it? We had adequate rainfall while gone. Thank you.

0

Adequate rainfall, or too much rain? Usually yellow leaves indicate a root stress problem. If the soil doesn't not drain well it can exclude oxygen, which can suffocate tree roots. Although you did not water for two weeks if you had more than an inch of rain per week, it may have been too much for your new tree. Pear trees are reasonably adaptable so yours may recover and put out new growth later this season. I'd just continue to water it once each week (unless you have lots of rain!) and wait to see whether or not it recovers. I hope it does!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"