Ocotillos - Knowledgebase Question

Surprise, Ar
Question by toldham
I have planted about a dozen BARE ROOT Ocotillos over the past five years and have lost all of them to termites before they could get established. Now I have purchased a potted ocotillo to try, how can I protect it from the termites until it gets established?

0

Since you have an ongoing problem with termites you may have to treat the soil immediately after planting your ocotillo (use Sevin dust and work it into the soil around the base of your ocotillo) and plan on retreating the soil as often as recommended on the label. Termite infestations often begin when a fertilized queen finds cellulose partly buried in the soil. In this case, the cellulose is the dormant base of your ocotillo. Using Sevin dust or spraying the soil (but not the plant) with Ortho? Home Defense Max? should keep the termites at bay.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"