PLANTING PEACH SEEDS - Knowledgebase Question

PEARL, Mi
Question by HIGHLYFAVORE
I HAVE A PEACH SEED AND I WANT TO PLANT IT,MY ? IS DO I CRACK THE OUTER SEED OPEN TO GET TO THE INNER SEED OR DO PLANT THE OUTER SEED

0

Although you might be able to grow a tree from the peach pits, the tree will not be the same as the tree that produced the fruit you liked so much and the fruit will not be the same, either. Peach trees are usually grafted to assure consistent quality fruit. If you can find out what variety of peach you liked so much you could purchase the same variety of tree and plant it in your yard. If you'd still like to try, peach pits can be planted in the fall in a garden area, just as if you were planting any other seed. Leave the hard outer coating on and plant the pits about 4 inches deep and 4 inches apart in a row. Smooth the soil over the pits and then cover over the top of the soil with an inch of straw, pine needles or similar mulch. Throughout winter, the pits will swell with water and break the hard outercoating. Many of the pits will germinate the following spring. You can transplant them to pots for growing to a larger size, or move them directly to their new locations.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Blue My Mind"