Blueberry Plant Insect Attack - Knowledgebase Question

Leesburg, Vi
Question by themargounde
Pltd bb/Jersey in mar. HDGC said to plt 2, so pltd another - Duke in May. Duke went bad. Dug up and thousands of insects (bugs?) almost like termites. I was told they had to have come with plt bought at HD. Would you know what was? The Jersey doing great. Tks. Margo

0

The normal food for termites is dead and dying wood and in nature this is beneficial in that it keeps fallen trees and other woody wastes from accumulating. It isn't likely that you imported termites in a nursery grown container plant but it is possible that the cellulose in the dead roots of the plant attracted them. I don't know why your Duke blueberry plant died but I'm almost certain that the termites were secondary and simply moved in when they sensed the roots were dead. I'd replant with a healthy new blueberry plant so you'll get a good crop of blueberries. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"