Yellowing Grass - Knowledgebase Question

schaumburg,, Il
Question by agreen630
I have a section of my lawn by a side walk(both sides)that turns yellow and dies. Thsi started last year and now seems to be getting larger. I have no idea what it is. Can you help?

0

Since the problem is near a sidewalk I suspect there's something going on there - salt build up in the soil if you use salt or similar products to melt the ice and snow; chemical leach from the concrete itself which can upset the soil's pH, or low spots in the soil near the sidewalk where water sits for extended periods of time. The last possibility is easy to correct: aerate the lawn and spread a little compost over the area. The compost will work its way down into the soil and help it drain more quickly. There's not much you can do about lime leaching from concrete but you can be careful about using de-icers on your sidewalk. I hope you can determine just what might be going on with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"