Daylillies - Knowledgebase Question

Shawano, Wi
Question by rshoffman
Our daylillies are turning brown and drying up on the bottom half of the plants, but are still flowering. What is happening and should they be cut off or left standing?

0

As long as the plants are flowering and some of the leaves are green, I suspect the roots are healthy. Leaves on the outer parts of a clump of daylilies are the oldest leaves and they will die off sporadically during the summer months, but you should still see healthy green leaves in the center of the plant. You can prune off those dead leaves as they appear but allow any green leaves to remain on the plant. If the whole plant is showing brown foilage, there may have been a chemical sprayed on the ground or an overdose of fertilizer that is affecting the leaves. Or it could be that any mulch you might be using is holding and reflecting heat back towards the foliage. Daylilies usually are disease resistant so I'd look more towards some environmental or cultural problem that's causing the unusual browning of the leaves. Wish I could pinpoint the exact cause for you! Best wishes with your daylilies.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"