Lilly. - Knowledgebase Question

staten island, Ne
Question by arizona94n
Hello. My Lilly's are now flowerless can I cut them now to give the other plants more sun? Also The old leaves on my 'Elephant ears' are yellow is this normal and can they also be cut off? Thank you for your help.

0

You can cut the spent flowers off your lily plants but it's best to leave the stems and leaves alone so they can collect and transport the sun's energy back into the bulb. If you cut everything down now the bulb won't have enough stored energy to grow next year. Just leave it alone until it is killed back by the frost, then cut all the foliage away and mulch over the top of the soil with a few inches of compost. You can remove the yellowing leaves on your Elephant Ears. New foliage will grow all summer long.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"