Grass and Moles HELP! - Knowledgebase Question

Belleville, Il
Question by shawnecooper
I bought a house that has at least four different grass types and moles. I've used sonic spikes and grub killer to no avail. Can I blend the grasses and any advice on the moles?

0

I would overseed the entire lawn this fall with a grass blend or mixture. This way you'll have the same kinds of grasses growing throughout your lawn and it will have a more even appearance.

Moles and gophers can be exasperating when they take up residence in a yard. The critters tunnel through the soil feeding on grubs, worms and beetles. Sometimes they chew through plant roots and bulbs, causing damage to the plants. The best way to control these pests is by trapping. Invest in one or two scissors-type traps and set them in the active runs. The best approach is to use a stiff metal probe (like a straightened wire coathanger) to find the main runs. Start at a mound of soil and explore the ground with the probe, finding the longest tunnel. You'll be able to tell by whether or not the probe penetrates into the soil easily. Short tunnels are used infrequently, so your best chance of trapping will be by placing a trap in a frequently used main run. Once you've found a likely tunnel, set the trap and cover it with a section of turf or a board to exclude daylight. Keep setting the trap until you stop catching moles and gophers. It may take an entire season, but persistence pays off and eventually you'll reduce the population of the creatures. Healthy soil naturally has a large population of insects. As long as the insects inhabit the soil, moles and gophers will be attracted. Wish there were an easier way to eliminate moles and gophers from the landscape. I don't think the sonic spikes work very well so I'd go with the above tried and true method. Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"