Re-plant Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Woodland Hills, Ca
Question by nancymfole
Can I replant Roses? We currently have 6 rose bushes near the lawn and are watered with spinklers. The leaves don't do well because of the water. Can I re-plant? What is the best time of year? Anything else to consider?

0

The absolute best time to dig and transplant roses is in the winter when they are dormant. In your mild winter climate your roses may not go completely dormant but they do rest in December and January so I'd suggest moving them then. If you really want to move them now, in mid summer, you can do so, but they will take a few months to re-establish in their new homes. You can prune them back prior to the move if that will make them easier to handle. I find that moist soil is easier to dig in so water your roses well the day before the planned move. This way the rootmass will stay together and there will be less chance for major damage of the larger roots. It's okay to sever some of the smaller roots when you are digging but try to keep the majority of the rootmass together when you dig. Best wishes with the move.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"