4 fold problem - Knowledgebase Question

camp hill, Pe
Question by pcicco
I have wilting leaves at various spots on my tomato plant, yellow leaves at the bottom, and leaves with brown dots on a few leaves mostly on the bottom. We have had quick soaking rain the last 4 evenings so I have not watered them. Been hot for 2 weeks. Top of few tomatoes have brown lines on them. Are these 4 problems related? Also can I still use Miracle Grow this late in season? Thanks

0

I don't think all of the symptoms are related, but together they can make your plant look really pathetic. First, it's normal for the bottom leaves to turn yellow on tomato plants. Just cut them off the plant and you may get healthy new replacement leaves. If not, there's no big loss. Brown dots on the remaining foliage can indicate a fungal disease or they may be associated with sunscald. Water droplets on the leaves that are in hot sunshine can turn into little magnifying glasses and burn the part of the leaf directly beneath the water droplet. If you determine the spots are a fungus, Seranade, Daconil, Bravo, Echo, or Fungonil to help protect your plants. Follow label directions ? fungicides need to be reapplied every 7-14 days. The brown lines on the tops of the tomatoes are probably cracks caused by the skins not being able to expand as quickly as the flesh inside. Small cracks callous over leaving brown scar tissue. This can happen when the soil is not consistently moist. When thirsty plants take up lots of water, it can cause the skins to split or crack. You can use Miracle Gro to encourage your plants to grow and flower so it can produce more fruit the remainder of the season. Hope we've covered all the bases! Best wishes with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"