ground wasps - Knowledgebase Question

levittown, Pe
Question by ebonner006
due to the really dry lawn I have ground wasps alot of them. I heard that you can get rid of them by using ammonia. Pouring it in the holes when they are resting at night. Just wondering if there is any other ways to get rid of them. The artical I read said they are probably all over the neighborhood and I have a young daughter and two goldens that re always in the yard. Any suggestions?

0

Ammonia may or may not work - I've never used it so I don't know. In defense of wasps, they're beneficial insects. They help pollinate flowers and they are great predators of other destructive garden pests. Wasps kill caterpillars and flies to feed to their young. Admittedly, wasps are no fun to contend with when you're trying to garden or picnic outdoors. Here's an easy way, or two, to eradicate wasps: For ground-nesting hornets and wasps, you just need to locate the entrance hole to thei rnest and then place a glass bowl or a clear jar over the top of the hole. Do this at night when the creatures are all at home and simply invert the bowl or jar over the opening. In the daytime, when the wasps try to leave home, they'll be confused - and won't be able to exit. Wasps aren't smart enough to dig another exit hole so they'll buzz around the entrance and get stopped by the bowl or jar. In about 10 days the colony will starve to death and you can remove the bowl or jar. Then cover the hole up with soil, and your problem will be solved.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Fringe Tree"