Shriveling Impatiens - Knowledgebase Question

North Arlington, Ne
Question by wzazula
I grow my impatiens in 9

0

Impatiens can develop fungal or bacterial diseases where the plant suddenly wilts and dies. A wilt disease works its way up from the base of the plant, causing leaves and branches to wilt and die. A a fungal leaf spot disease causes circular brown spots on the leaves and stem rots attack impatiens stems at or near the soil level. Foliage turns yellow, wilts, and dies. A bacterial rot can also cause sudden wilting and collapse of impatiens plants. Yellowish masses of bacteria ooze out when the stems are cut. Stems are often rotted at ground level. There is no practical treatment for these problems. The best strategy is to promptly remove and discard badly infected plants along with their soil to prevent the spread of the fungus to other plants. Wish there were a solution, but aside from watering the soil rather than the foliage of the plants, and making sure there's good air circulation all around, it's difficult to stop these diseases. Impatiens are simply prone to developing these problems.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"