quaking aspen tree - Knowledgebase Question

Russellville, In
Question by eddiethornbu
I planted a clump of quaking aspen trees about three weeks ago. They have been doing very well and have had some new growth of leaves. However in the past week the leaves have been turning brown, even the new ones. I have tried to keep it well watered. It looks like a few of the leaves may have been eaten on. I try to garden naturally but what should I do? Thanks!

0

I think you're seeing a delayed reaction to the stress of being transplanted. As soon as the roots of your trees establish themselves in the ground, you should see healthy new growth. Overwatering or poorly draining soils can cause the problems you describe so be careful with your watering. I build a watering well or watering basin beneath my new trees and shrubs to make sure they are getting the proper watering. Fill the basin, allow the water to drain, then fill it a second time. Once a week should be sufficient; twice a week if the weather is hot and your soil drains quickly. Watering in this way allows the water to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass to the right depth. Don't worry about holes in the leaves. Insects do feed on aspen leaves and they generally don't cause too much damage. For right now, just concentrate on helping the trees develop healthy root systems by watering on a regular schedule. Good luck with your new trees.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"