confederate rose - Knowledgebase Question

pensacola, Fl
Question by gparulski
i asked my question Wed evening and would like to know how I receive the answer?
Question repeated: my confederate rose leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. What is wrong and what does it need? Help quickly!

0

I remember answering your question so I think you'll find the answer in your inbox or quite possibly it was sent to your junk mail by your mail program service provider. Sometimes things get lost in cyberspace or are misdirected if your email address is incorrect. In any case, here's the answer:
Confederate rose is a regional name for tropical hibiscus. As an evergreen, hibiscus plants retain their leaves for 2-3 seasons but eventually those leaves outlive their usefulness and are shed by the plant. The leaves turn bright yellow and are dropped but healthy new leaves develop in their places. If yellowing leaves are scattered throughout your confederate rose, it's nothing to worry about. If all the leaves are yellow, including the new growth, it can indicate overwatering, over-fertilization and resulting burn, or heat stress if the weather has been really hot. If you haven't fed your plant and you have been watering deeply once or twice a week but allowing the soil to dry out slightly between waterings, then I'd suspect it's heat stress that's bothering your plant. I'd wait a few weeks and then prune it back. The weather should begin to cool off slightly by then and you should see healthy new growth. Hope this answer makes it to your inbox!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"