Cherry tomato growing too much - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
I'm growing Burpee Cherry tomato that I started from seed. They are 8 feet tall and still growing. The stakes are only 5 feet tall and the plants are flopping over. I'm removing the suckers. Is there any way to stop the growth without affecting the current fruit production, such as cutting off continued top growth?
All advice appreciated.
Thanks.

0

Tomato plants develop flowers on the newest growth so cutting yours back may mean you'll sacrifice some fruit. You can try pinching out the tips of the stems which will force new growth lower down on the stems. This will result in a thicker, bushier plant and will slow the upward growth without sacrificing too many fruits. I'm impressed that your cherry tomato plant is reaching such remarkable heights!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"