spiral ginger plant problem - Knowledgebase Question

Barefoot Bay, Fl
Question by nanjack
I recently bought a spiral ginger plant at my local home depot store. I planted it where its gets 1/2 day sun - (afternoon) I have watered it every day since planting. Now all the tips of my leaves are turning yellowish brown. Help! It was an real splurge buy on my part and I really want to save it! My instructions that came with it says to keep watered - am I overwatering?

0

Daily watering might be excessive. Spiral ginger likes rich, moist soil that drains well, but not soggy wet soils or soils with standing water. Too much water can drive out oxygen and the roots can actually suffocate! I think your plant is showing a little transplant stress and as soon as the roots establish themselves, you'll see healthy new growth. It may also be that your plant was growing in a shaded spot in the garden center and the leaves are unhappy with afternoon sunshine. As your plant develops new leaves they will be more tolerant of the sunshine. Most do best with 3-5 hours of direct sun. Monthly applications of a liquid balanced fertilizer during the summer growing season will also benefit your plant. Just be patient with your spiral ginger. It will adjust and the leaves will remain green instead of turning a yellowish brown. Best wishes with your new plant!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"