Tomato Insects - Knowledgebase Question

Walkersville, Ma
Question by purpleconfet
Upon approaching my tomato plants tonight I thought the leaves were covered with tiny black ants. Upon closer inspection I saw a few insects also that look like a cross between a cricket and a box elder bug. I think the black ant appearance was insect residue. How do I save my plants from destruction? Thank you.

LaVonne Hill

0

It's really difficult to identify a pest by a description but given that you are growing tomato plants and the pests are leaving a sticky black residue, my best guess is that you are dealing with blister beetles. Hand picking the pests is the easiest way to control them; using Insecticidal Soap, Rotenone, or Bonide's Beetle Killer is another option. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"