rhododendrum moving - Knowledgebase Question

Bayside, Ne
Question by danahedman
We have a rhododendrum (not sure of the spelling) that is not happy where it is. Is there a better time than others during the year to move it, or can we move it at any time (except winter, of course). Thanks.

0

Rhododendrons can be moved in the spring or fall when the weather is cool and rainfall abundant. Cooler weather equals less transplant shock. If you move it now and pay close attention to watering, it should make the transition without too much trouble. I'd soak the soil the day before the move - moist soil clings together and is easier to dig. The roots will stay in a mass which I think makes it easier to transport. After transplanting your rhodie, water it in well to help settle the soil then water it every 5-7 days to help it re-establish itself in your landscape. Expect some wilting and some leaf drop until it adjusts to its new home. Good luck with the move.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"