cutting back spiderworts - Knowledgebase Question

clarion, Pe
Question by vavrek
Greetings, I typically hate to cut down plants, but I was reading that this is the proper thing to do after spiderworts have bloomed. What do you think? Many thanks, Bernie. In the same line of things, my bee balm plants are starting to fade, will cutting the dead heads help to renew blooms?

0

Spiderwort is considered "self-cleaning" so deadheading is not necessary with this plant. You can trim yours back if you'd like, but it isn't necessary. If your spiderwort is terribly overgrown you can snip it back by about one half. It will leave a bare spot in your garden for a few weeks but new growth will emerge and fill it up again. Bee balm can be deadheaded when the flowers begin to fade. Removing the flowers and some of the stems and your plant will bloom again. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Dahlia & Water Hyacinth"