Phlox is getting destroyed - Knowledgebase Question

BOSTON, Ma
Question by drlynda6
I have a white flower in a flower bed that some other things have died in, some things do well. My Phlox which has just bloomed is turning brown as if it is burning up. How can I treat it and should I move now. I have another phlox that will not seem to bloom it grows a stubby head but no flowers.

0

I wonder if your soil is in need of some enrichment? It sounds as though some of your plants are struggling. Now that your phlox has finished flowering you can cut it back by about one half. This will get rid of the dead flowers and also encourage new growth and a new flush of blooms. It's hard to amend the soil in a bed that's full of plants but it can be done. Spread 2-3 inches of compost or other organic matter over the bare soil between the plants and dig it into the soil. As you move or remove plants, spread compost over the bare spot and dig it in. Compost helps loosen the soil, helps it drain well and yet hold just enough water around the roots to promote new growth. A few years of amending the soil will turn the dirt into rich garden loam and your plants will thrive. Best wishes with your phlox!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"