String of Pearls - Knowledgebase Question

Chittenango, NY
Question by Rempets4g
I saw a hanging house plant on this show. Its was called a String Of Pearls. It looks like a long string of peas. I would like to know where you can get them and some information on them?

0

The String of Pearls (also called String of Beads)you saw was probably Senecio rowleyanus. This plant is originally from Southwestern Africa where it grows as a succulent perennial. It is easy to grow and does very well in a hanging basket in bright light and can be encouraged to bloom by giving it a spell of cooler temperatures (say 50 or 55 degrees) in early winter followed by a return to its normally preferred warmer temperatures (average household or over 60 degrees). They are occasionally available in garden centers or nurseries which carry houseplants.