leaves dyeing - Knowledgebase Question

kansas city, Mi
Question by nlascala
every year, planted in different spots in my yard I have a problem where the leaves on my tomato plants get spots, turn yellowish and then die. It starts at the bottom and works up the plant. This year I planted 5 types of tomato's and they all are doing the same thing again. I have used Orthenex and daconil with no benefit. I keep cutting off the infected branches /No help. Help Please.

0

How frustrating! Start by purchasing seeds or transplants that are tagged as resistant to as many diseases as possible. It's normal for the bottom leaves of tomato plants to grow old, turn yellow and die. If you cut them off the plant, you'll avoid the spread of any fungal spores they develop as they die off. A thin layer of compost beneath your plants will also keep fungal spores from splashing up and infecting the healthy leaves. Daconil and other fungicides can help protect uninfected leaves but they must be applied every 7-10 days (according to label directions). If you wait until your plants show signs of disease, it's too late to stop the problem. Fungicides can help control early blight (Alternaria fungus), fusarium and verticillium, but they won't control late blight (Phytophthora fungus). Again, a preventative spray program is your best defense, coupled with finding disease resistant tomato cultivars. Seranade, Daconil, Bravo, Echo, or Kocide are fungicides registered for use on tomato plants and should be reapplied every 7-10 days. Be sure to follow label directions. Good luck with your tomatoes.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"