Oriental Poppies - Knowledgebase Question

holland, mi
Question by sjvaalburg1
I just bought a perennnial oriental poppy plant.
How do I take care of it?
Do I have to mulch it? How much water?
How much sun?
How do I keep the insects away from it?

0

Oriental poppies grow best in full sunshine, in well draining soil. Once the blooms have faded, remove the flowering stem by cutting it off short. Little by little the plant will then turn brown and die back to the ground as it goes dormant for the rest of the summer. You may remove the leaves when they are finally dried up and crispy. Mark the spot, because the plants will regrow in preparation for blooming again next spring and summer. Water your poppy once or twice a week (depending upon how well your soil drains), and mulch over the bare soil with an inch or two of compost. Keep the compost from touching the stems of the plant, though, or they may rot. Poppies don't usually have insect problems but if you see any you can pick them off the leaves or flowers. Enjoy your poppy.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"