Forest Pansey is in TROUBLE - Knowledgebase Question

Norco, Lo
Question by cristinascoz
I planted a forst planted this spring. In the last few weeks all the leaves have died but I noticed a little sprout near the base of the trunk. Is it possible that the tree is still alive and what is the best way to salvage it. Should I remove all the leaves one by one or trim back all the branches. We really want to slavage this tree...we love it!!! Please HELP!!!

0

I'm not exactly sure what's going on with your Forest Pansy. A sprout from the base indicates the roots are alive and vigorous, but dropping leaves at the top of the tree doesn't sound good! It is possible the top is still alive and it may resprout. Try scraping the bark from a few of the branches. Green tissue beneath the bark indicates that branch (or that part of the branch) is alive; brown tissue indicates it is dead. If you find the branches are dead you can prune them off. Work your way from the tips of the branches to the trunk or main stem, scraping and checking for live tissue. I hope you find that most of the plant is still alive. If so, there's still hope. If not, you may end up cutting it down and allowing the little sprout to grow into a new shrub or tree. Let's hope for the best!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"