Upright Yew One Side of Tree Died - Knowledgebase Question

Middleboro, MA
Question by dbruno350
I have an upright yew. At the beginning of the spring it was fine. In June I noticed that one side of the tree started to get dead branches. I started cutting off all of the dead branches and now I have cut a sizeable amount of one side of the tree off. The other side of the tree is very green and not having any problem. Do you have anything that might help or do I need to dig it up?

0

What you describe can be the result of winter damage or could be a problem with the roots, especially if no new growth is developing. If the affected side in on the most exposed side of the plant, the side that might be subjected to icy winter winds, I'd chalk it up to winter kill back. If the affected side is not more exposed to the elements than the rest of the plant, I'd suspect root damage of some kind. I don't think your yew will replace the dead foliage and branches and it might be best to remove it and replace it with a healthy plant. With no new growth, things don't sound good for your yew!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"