forsythias and perennials - Knowledgebase Question

oakwood hills, Il
Question by rgurak
1. When is the best time of the year to prune my forsythia bush. I want to have max show of blooms next spring. I live in the chicago nw suburbs.
2. Can I plant perennials any time in the year such as late summer or early fall?

0

Forsythia blooms in the winter months on the wood that was produced the previous summer so you'll get the best show of flowers if you prune your plant back in the very early spring, as soon as it has finished flowering. This will give it all summer to develop new wood which will then bloom the following winter.

You can plant perennials from spring through early fall. I try to avoid planting during the hottest months of the summer just because the heat can really stress a plant while it is trying to establish itself in the garden. Hope this answers all your questions. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"