Crown of Thorns - Knowledgebase Question

Malvern, Pe
Question by karenbitt29
I can't get my Crown of Thorns to bloom again. How often should I water it? It's in a southern exp. window but due to an overhand does not get direct sunlight. What are its light requirements?

0

Your Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii) should be an easy plant to care for indoors. It likes a south facing window with lots of light, and prefers temperatures about 70F degrees. If you feed your plant, it may become leggy, but you can give it diluted (half-strength) liquid fertilizer during the summer months if it doesn't seem to be thriving. I'd move it to a brighter location and see if that doesn't help perk it up. You'll probably need to water less during the winter months, so don't let the soil completely dry out, but wait until the top half-inch is dry before supplying water to your plant. Expect that the plant will rest a bit this winter, but should begin growing again in early spring when the days get longer.

If your plant refuses to bloom you might consider taking it outdoors when the weather warms in the spring and leaving it outside until it begins to bloom I think the extra light intensity will promote flowering. Good luck with your Crown of Thorns.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"