Crabgrass and St. Augustine - Knowledgebase Question

El Dorado, Ar
Question by alice194
Crabgrass has infested my front yard, living happily amongst St. Augustine. I haven't found a crabgrass preventer for use on St. Augustine. Is there something? Thanks

0

The best product to use to prevent crabgrass in St. Augustine is Scott's Turfbuilder with Halts. With that said, it is too late to apply a pre emergent this year. Here's the skinny on crabgrass: Crabgrass is an annual weed and while it dies out when the weather cools, it leaves a ton of seeds behind. Crabgrass starts germinating when soil temperatures are 50 to 55 degrees F for ten or more days and germination can take place over a 6 week period. Pre-emergence herbicides provide excellent weed control for crabgrass. The compound prevents the weed seed from germinating, but it will not kill the newly sprouted seedlings. Watch the weather - late February to early March is an ideal time to apply pre-emergence control. At this point, you might want to try raking it out or hand pulling. Next spring use the pre-emergent and it should keep the crabgrass under control.

Just for general information and future reference, there are other weed control products that are safe for St. Augustine lawns. Ortho? Weed-B-Gon Weed Killer for St. Augustine Lawns, and Scotts? Bonus S Weed and Feed for Southern Lawns are both safe for St. Augustine (but may not be effective against crabgrass). Be sure to read and follow label directions.

Today's site banner is by TsFlowers and is called "Brown Thrasher"