Columbines - Knowledgebase Question

Parker, Co
Question by dianarotenb
When is the best time to transplant a columbine? One sprouted in my garden path [a gift from the birds - I didn't plant it!] and I want to move it safely. When's the best time to do so? I'm in cColorado, altitude about 6K feet [not in the mountains], the garden path faces south, but is rather shadey. I'd like to move it about about 2 feet away from the path.
Thanks.
Diana

0

I'd choose a cloudy day or one that's predicted to be cool and move it then. I think it's easiest to dig in moist soil so water the plant throughly a few hours before the planned move. Generally columbines are reasonably shallow rooted but a voluteer plant can have a deep root, especially if wasn't watered or otherwise cared for when it sprouted. So, expect to dig a deep and narrow hole when you're moving your columbine. Set it at the same soil level as it was growing before, water it in well and it should be just fine. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"