How to plant tulips and daffodils? - Knowledgebase Question

Bucyrus, Oh
Question by tsteinhe
I would like to add some spring color to my landscaping. I want to plant tulips and daffodils, but I don't know when to plant, how deep, or how many bulbs to put in a grouping.
Can I plant both tulips and daffodils together in the same group?
Thank you for the information. I am in Bucyrus, OH 44820.

0

Tulips and daffodils are some of the easiest bulbs to grow so you've made some good choices. They should be available in your garden center in September and should be planted as soon as they're purchased. You can group them together to provide a mass of color in the spring and some gardeners even sketch out intricate designs and plant their bulbs according to their sketch. I tend to simply mass my favorite colors together so I have swaths or waves of colors in my garden beds. Whichever you do, I'm sure the result will be attractive.

In your region, plant your bulbs in September or October, preparing the garden bed by digging with a garden fork to loosen the soil to a depth of 12 to 15 inches. Spread a 2- to 4-inch layer of compost over the top and dig it into the soil. Then level the soil and set the bulbs about three times as deep as the height of the bulb, spaced 4-6 inches apart. Set the bulb in the hole, pointy end up, then cover with soil and press firmly. Water thoroughly after planting to help settle the soil. That's all there is to it - your bulbs will rest all winter long then spring to life in the springtime for a fabulous display of color. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"