Black eyed susan - worms or larvae - Knowledgebase Question

Staten Island, Ne
Question by mlyledavis
I cut black eyed susan flowers for the house. Very tiny worms or larvae crawled on my counter top. I then noticed one on the black center of a flower and it crawled inside before I could get it. It appeared to have stipes on it. What are these and can or should they be controlled? Are black eyed susans good for cut flowers? If so, I need to control the worms or larvre.
Please advise.

0

Black Eyed Susans do make good cut flowers but they can sometimes be attractive to insects. To avoid bringing the pests into your house, simply plunge the flowers into a large container of water, head first, and leave them there for about 10 minutes. Any insects will float to the surface of the water. I use a plastic pitcher for this, filling it with water and taking it out into the garden when I harvest my flowers. As I cut each one I place it flower first into the water. By the time I've cut all my flowers for an indoor arrangement, any insects that were hiding in the flowers have floated to the top. I pour them out onto the ground and refill the pitcher with fresh water, then take the flowers indoors. Or, if you don't have a pitcher to carry around in the garden, just collect the flowers as you normally do and then lay them into a sinkfull of cool water. The bugs or worms will float out of the flowers and down the drain.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"