Nematodes - Knowledgebase Question

Murfreesboro, Te
Question by spbalch
My mothers yard was tested about 9 years ago and has nematoids in it. Is this a bad thing? She has alot of perennials that I would like to separate and bring to my yard. I am unsure if I should.
Thanks,
Sheila

0

I'm afraid the answer to your question depends upon the types of nematodes the soil test found. A shovelfull of garden soil typically includes more than 1 million nematodes. The majority of nematode species are regarded as beneficial because they feed on bacteria, fungi, and other soil-inhabiting or aquatic animals. A minority of nematodes are considered destructive and can cause plant problems. Once introduced to an area, these destructive nematodes are difficult to eradicate. So I guess the bottom line is - if the plants you want to move from your mother's yard to yours are healthy, there should not be a problem. If they have symptoms of root knots. lesions or galls, I wouldn't move them to your yard.

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"