Squash bugs - Knowledgebase Question

montgomery, Al
Question by ronnielyle
I have put sevins dust on my squash plants,top and underside of leaves but I cannot get rid of them. All of my squash plants are destroyed,I am fixing to pull up the dead plants and am thinking about planting something else there. I live in montgomery alabama,any advice on getting rid of bugs and what might I plant there.
Thank you Ronnie

0

Squash bugs are about 1/2" long, brown or grey, and shaped a bit like a shield. They suck the juices out of leaves and stems. They feed in groups. To control them, find their masses of yellow to reddish-brown eggs on the underside of leaves and squash them. The adult bugs like to hide in leaf litter or under boards, stones, etc. at night. Since they overwinter under garden debris, and there is only one generation per year, it is possible to reduce their population with diligence early in the season. You can place boards or similar around plants, then go out early in the morning to kill any bugs hiding underneath. Pull mulch away from the base of plants too, to eliminate hiding places. Rotate crops every planting season and clean up plant debris, where the bugs can overwinter. You can use an insecticide such as Sevin but I spray occasionally with a pyrethrin/rotenone product. This is an organic option with good "knock down power" on the bugs.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"