Bougainvillia - Knowledgebase Question

Carrollton, Te
Question by sandrasmith6
Is it possible to root bougainvillia from a cutting. I have one now that I'm trying to nurse through this Texas heat and it's growing in a hanging pot but getting very

0

I find bougainvillea difficult to root from a cutting but you might try a process called layering. In most cases layering is done on plants in the ground where you can bend a branch down so it makes contact with the soil. In the case of a plant in a hanging basket you may be able to encourage rooting of a branch by making a small slit in the branch, holding it open with a toothpick, then wrapping with moistened spaghnum moss, wrapping then moss with plastic wrap and securing the plastic with tape. With any luck the wound will develop roots and you can sever it from the parent plant and transplant it into its new home. Hope this method works for you.

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Camellia bud"