new lawn-problem - Knowledgebase Question

Camdenton, Mi
Question by jjcrowell
I have new dirt and have seeded it and fertilized it with lime. I now have grass but in some areas I have white balls in groups that when mashed have a brown powder inside.What are these and what is the rememdy to rid them. I must have grubs as have found armadillo tracks.
Jo Ann

0

What you describe are puffballs, and are the fruiting structure of a fungus. At first they have the texture of a marshmallow, but as the puffball matures it turns olive-brown, and the interior becomes spongy and filled with spores. Puffballs are not harmful to people, pets, or plants, but can be a nuisance in well-maintained lawns. There is no feasible management for them other than removing the fruiting bodies as they appear.

You can apply Grubex or other grub control product to your lawn to take care of the grubs. Be sure to apply according to label directions. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Lilac"