bradford pear - Knowledgebase Question

grand prairie, Te
Question by mgillum2
My bradford pear tree started dying 2 weeks ago and I want to know what to do to save it. I have been reading that it might be the flowering cover I have planted under it. My tree is six years old and the purple flowering I have underneath it comes back every year. This is the first year it has done this. Can you tell me what to do to save my tree.
Thanks

0

I'm not convinced that a groundcover you planted beneath your Bradford pear tree is responsible for its demise. Lots of gardeners plant Bradford pears in their lawns and ornamental flower beds. I think the problem is more likely to be a disease (you didn't describe the symptoms so I'm not sure which disease it might be). There's something called fire blight that affects Bradford pear trees. The leaves suddenly dry up and die but they remain on the tree. They look like the tree was in a fire. There are other diseases that can cause spots, black leaves, spots, etc. Why not take a sample of the problem to your local cooperative extension office for a positive diagnosis? Once you know what you're dealing with, you may be able to control and reverse the problem. Contact: Prairie View A&M University, P.O. Box 519, Mail Stop #2001, Prairie View, Texas 77446-0519 Phone: 936.261.5137

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "NOID Daylily"