Maple Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Brooklyn, Ne
Question by pcstarkman
New Japanese Maple tree, planted 3 months ago. The leaves are curling and spotted. Returning it - how should I prepare the ground for a new one?

0

Japanese maples appreciate moist, loose, well draining soils. They appreciate acidic soils, as well. I'd dig a large area, incorporate some compost, then level the soil and dig a hole for your new tree. The compost will ensure the soil drains quickly yet holds just the right amount of moisture for your tree. When you plant, make sure it will be growing at the same soil level as it was growing in the nursery pot and after you've planted and watered it in well to help settle the soil, make a watering well or watering basin beneath the tree. Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture directly over the root system and allow it to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Once a week is all the water your tree will need - twice a week if the weather is really hot. Best wishes with your maple tree.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"