Storing Dahlia bulbs during winter - Knowledgebase Question

Rochester, Ne
Question by djackwork
Hi, I was given some Dahlia bulbs this past spring, which I planted. They produced beautiful flowers. I was told when frost comes, remove bulbs. How do I store bulbs during winter? I have 2 cats so putting them in soil, etc. will just attract cats to dig up or use as a litter box!

0

After frost kills the foliage, dig the dahlia tubers, shake off excess soil, and store the tubers in peatmoss or sawdust. The tubers should look like the spokes of a wheel with the original stem in the center. Place the entire group on a layer of peat and place more peat around them. Store your dahlias in a cool, dark location where it remains above freezing during the winter months. A closed cardboard box should keep your cats out of the tubers and peatmoss. In the spring you can divide the tubers. Look for a tiny bud (or eye) on the topmost part of the tuber, closest to the stem. As you cut each tuber away from the old, dried stem, make sure each tuber has a bud. When you're ready to plant, choose a site that gets sunshine all day, and dig a hole about one-foot deep for each tuber, spaced about three feet apart.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Daylily & Lantana"