NO COLOR ON ASTILBE FLOWERS - Knowledgebase Question

N. MASSAPEQUA, Ne
Question by CIDWAL
HI.
I HAVE THREE LOCATIONS WITH ASTILBE PLANTS. TWO FULL SUN ONE PART SUN.EACH SPRING I THROW 10/10/10 FERTILIZER OVER ALL OF THE
FLOWER BEDS.
THIS YEAR AND LAST THE ASTILBE PLANTS FLOWERED BUT THEY WERE BROWN. ANY IDEAS ON WHAT I'M DOING WRONG?
THANKS
CHARLES ROBERTS

0

Astilbe flowers are usually brightly colored, at least for the first 3 weeks, but then age to a brown. If you prune off the spent flowers plus the stalks before they turn brown, the plants usually send up a second flush of plumes. If yours are opening brown instead of colored, the plants may be getting too much sunshine or too much water. Try holding back on the amount of water you provide in the spring. You can't control the rainfall, but if they are in well draining soils the excess water should drain quickly. Just keep track of the rain and if it totals more than one inch per week, you won't need to water your astilbes. If it's less than an inch you can supplement the amount of rainfall with water from the hose. Hope this helps alleviate the problem!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"