Mohican Viburnum Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Pittsburgh, Pe
Question by vandzy327
I recently purchased 2 viburnum trees. I gave one to my daughter and I kept one. My tree is thriving, however, my daughter's tree seems to be drying up...the leaves are falling off. She waters it frequently, and gives it MiracleGro, but it does not seem to help. Can you give me any advice? Her tree is in direct sun all day, but mine is in partial sun...could that be the problem? Thank you.

0

Viburnum lantana, or Mohican Wayfaring Tree, is usually quite adaptable. It will grow in full sun to part shade, in sandy or average but well draining soils. About the only thing it does not like is clayey soil. Clay tends to hold too much moisture which can stress the roots and cause the symptoms you describe. It may be that your daughter is watering too frequently, or her soil does not drain as well as yours does. Have her build a watering well or watering basin beneath her viburnum. Fill the basin, allow to drain, then fill it a second time. Watering in this way will concentrate the moisture directly over the rootmass and allow it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system. Watering once a week should be sufficient, especially if her soil is clayey. Twice a week if the weather is hot and/or her soil drains well. You may not see results right away but as soon as the viburnum establishes well your daughter should see healthy new growth. Hope it's soon!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Geranium maderense"