which fertilizers/when? - Knowledgebase Question

Venice, Fl
Question by conniemaryp
I am in fla.Hot+sandy.My lawn is scarce.what can I use for fertilizer to encourage growth? and when?

0

Fertilizer may not solve all the problems with your lawn. Sandy soils drain very well and do not hold moisture or nutrients so you will need to feed and water more often. You might want to try introducing some compost to help the soil retain a little more moisture and help the roots find a nutrient-rich place in which to grow. You can spread about a half inch of compost over the yard and water it in well. It will work it's way down to the soil surface which will help slow water evaporation and give the crowns of your grass plants a ready source of nutrients. This month or next you can apply a Turfbuilder with Summerguard. It won't burn the lawn as long as it is applied according to label directions. Best wishes with your lawn.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"