hibicus - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by ggcreates
My hibicus bloomed once and now has blooms again,
but they are turning dark
in color and looks like
they are rotting. I sprayed them with Specicide for insects but
it did not seem to help.
Need help. thank you. G. Seal

0

I'm not sure what's going on with the flowers of your hibiscus. Sometimes little bud worms can invade the unopened flowers and eat the flower buds. When this happens, the flowers will not open at all. Since hibiscus flowers only last one day, perhaps what you are seeing are the old, spent flowers? Try pulling or cutting them all off the plant and then watching as the next ones open. Check to see if they are damaged on the inside before they begin to open. If so, bud worms are at work. These little larvae are protected inside the unopened bud so something like Spectracide won't control them. The good news is that they will stop being quite so active in a few weeks and they won't damage your hibiscus for the rest of the season. Best wishes with your plant!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "From Bud to Bloom"