What should I do about our "dusty sand lot"? - Knowledgebase Question

Massapequa Park, Ne
Question by ndpettit46
We're having concrete work done in back yard,and entire area is dug up.We could never grow grass in our compacted, sandy soil.Now it's fine and loose sand from all the excavation. What should I do next? Water,feed,fertilize this sandy,blowing dustbowl or get sod? Thank YOU! South shore LI, NY

0

Since your soil is sandy you'll want to start by incorporating a good quantity of compost or other organic matter to help it hold moisture and nutrients. You can spread 3-4 inches of compost over the area, dig it in to a depth of 6-8 inches, then level and either broadcast seeds or install sod. I'd vote for sod - it will give you almost instant relief from the blowing dust! Once the seeds are broadcast or the sod is installed, keep the area watered well until the rootsystems are well developed and the grass is growing well. Enjoy your new landscape!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Tulips"