what to plant - Knowledgebase Question

Somerset, Ne
Question by terriergal
I recently had to sacrifice a 30 y/o arborvitae along my front walk way. I would like to plant a slow growing tree that does not attain great height at maturity. Also, I was told that I couldn't plant anything in the hole for 6 ft around because of pine resins in the soil. What tree should I look for,and is it true about not planting within 6 feet around the orginal site?

0

You didn't mention why you needed to remove the arborvitae but unless it was terribly diseased, there should not be a problem with the soil. Pine resin should not be an issue. Lots of plants will grow near pine trees and the sap or resin doesn't bother them. You can plant Yew if you'd like a dense evergreen, or you can replant arborvitaes in the spot.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"