new tree water logged - Knowledgebase Question

Waterloo, Ne
Question by tllfletch
I purchased a Linden this spring and with all the rain we've had it's roots are water logged. The leaves are turning yellow. Will it survive as the ground water receeds and returns to normal? Is there something I should do?

0

Soil that remains waterlogged for extended periods of time can suffocate roots by driving out all the oxygen in the soil. Your Linden tree should survive a temporary flood but if the area is prone to flooding during rainstorms you might want to consider moving your tree this fall or winter. Plant it in a spot that does not typically flood or raise the soil level by mounding up an island of topsoil and planting on top of the island. It will be easier to move your tree now than 5-10 years from now so select the planting site carefully. Good luck with your Linden tree.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Purple Crocus in March"