beginner vegetable garden - Knowledgebase Question

San Manuel, Ar
Question by jlgarcia8563
My very first cucumber plant has leaves turning yellow near the bottom? Also have pepper plants where leaves are beginning to look like they are burned from the edges or maybe something eating them from the edges. what can I do? i have a beginner garden do u recommend fertilizing? or any special soil or plant foods? Can u mix flowers in the veggies? or better kept separate?

0

You can interplant vegetables and flowers. In fact, if you have lots of flowers blooming, the insects they attract will also pollinate the flowers of your vegetables and can result in a larger harvest for you. I always work some compost into my garden beds to help enrich the soil so think about doing that next year. For now, you can either place several inches of compost between the plants in your garden to provide nutrients to the plants, or you can side dress with a 10-10-10 time release fertilizer.

It's normal for the lowest, oldest leaves of cucumbers, and other vegetables, to turn yellow and fall off the plant. As long as your cucumber plants are putting out new growth, there's nothing to worry about. Just trim the yellowing leaves off your plants to make them look more attractive. As for the leaves of your pepper plants, too much water can cause the leaf margins to turn crispy brown; insect feeding can also make the leaves look bad. But, plants can tolerate lots of holes in their leaves without being affected. You won't need to spray them with anything but you should go out and check your plants every day. If you find insect pests, just pick them off the leaves and stomp on them. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Gizmo the Gremlin"