Dead Salvias and Firewitch - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by frostagain
I planted maynight salvia and after the bloom it appears to me that the plant is dead. The stems are very brown, dry and brittle. Is this noraml and will this plant come back next year? what should I do? Does the firewitch have repeat blooms?

0

May Night Salvia is a perennial plant but it does require soil with excellent drainage. If you think the soil drains well, you can simply cut off the dead plant parts. New growth will emerge if the roots are healthy. If you suspect the soil does not drain well or you may have overwatered, the plant is likely dead and should be replaced.

Dianthus gratianopolitanus 'Feuerhexe' (Firewitch) is a low growing, mat-forming alpine plant with narrow bluish-gray foliage. After it has finished blooming you can cut the plant back by one third to one half. It will respond by growing healthy new foliage and a second flush of blooms.

Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"